I am delighted to share my culinary creation which uses rhubarb. You will be pleased to know that no pre-cooking of the rhubarb with additional sugar is required. The sweetness comes from using light condensed milk. Dark chocolate and rhubarb makes for an unusual but tasty combination. Many who have tried this new recipe have been so impressed they came back for seconds! For more information about courses and group experiences available with Food Fiend Experience please go to: www.foodfiendexp.com
- 100 gms butter
- 200 gms plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 7 or 8 teaspoons cold water
- 65 gms dark chocolate with minimum 74% cocoa solids
- 200 ml of light condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 table spoon lemon juice
- 3 stalks rhubarb ( approx. 400 gms)
- 1.Pre heat fan oven to 180 degrees.
- Sift flour into food processor, add pinch of salt. Cut butter into small cubes and gently stir into flour. Pulse the mixture in the food processor until it resembles bread crumbs. Do not over pulse.
- Add 7 to 8 teaspoons of cold water to the bread crumb mixture and pulse in food processor until it forms a ball. Flatten ball of pastry into disk with palm of hand until it is 1 cm in thickness. Wrap with cling film and chill for 5 minutes in freezer.
- Flour table top, rolling pin and hands with plain flour. Place dough ball in centre and roll out gently until pastry fills 28 cms loose bottom pastry tin.
- Carefully place pastry dough in tin and prick with a fork. Cover with sheet of greaseproof paper and pour baking beans on top. Bake in the middle of the oven for approx. 5 minutes. Remove baking beans and greaseproof paper and bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the oven to cool.
- Place condensed milk into food mixer with one tablespoon lemon juice and mix until it thickens.
- Separate yolk and egg white and place yolk with condensed milk and lemon juice mixture and the egg white in a separate mixing bowl.
- Beat condensed milk mixture well.
- Break dark chocolate into small pieces and microwave on a low temperature until completely dissolved and easily pours.
- Add melted chocolate into condensed milk mixture and mix well.
- Egg whites should been beaten with mixer until they become stiff and resemble meringues.
- Fold this into the condensed milk and chocolate mixture.
- Wash rhubarb and remove outer skin as this is stringy. Slice rhubarb diagonally (1 cm thickness) and line cooked pastry tart. Pour condensed milk and chocolate mixture over the top. Place slices of rhubarb on top to create a design in the chocolate mixture with rhubarb visible above it.
- Bake in the oven on 160 fan for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Test with cocktail stick ensuring it comes out clean which indicates it is cooked through.
- Enjoy with vanilla ice cream, whipped or pouring cream.