The Spanish Frittata is a versatile, healthy, tasty, low fat dish which is easy to make and can be eaten hot or cold. You can use a variety of vegetables but in this recipe I have chosen sliced peppers, onions, spinach and Charlotte potato. Itâ€™s important to use a waxy potato which retains its shape and consistency after cooking and doesnâ€™t breakdown. Salad potatoes with or without skins are great for this.
You can substitute sweet potato in place of the salad potatoes and use any vegetable which takes your fancy- peas and beans will need to be blanched before adding to the egg mixture. To reduce the amount of fat I have used grated Parmesan but you can add some grated cheddar into the egg mixture as well if desired.
This is a great dish which can be enjoyed for lunch or a light supper served with salad. Better still cut it into slices as a starter for a dinner party!
1 pack spinach
Â½ red pepper
1 large onion
250 grams waxy potato
Handful of parsley and chives
2 cloves garlic
3/4 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook spinach in the microwave in a glass dish for 3 minutes, squeeze out excess water from leaves
- Wash potatoes and use food processor with slicing tool to slice or if doing by hand try to make slices uniform and less than 0.5 cm thick. Place on plate and drizzle with olive oil and cook in microwave for 6 minutes. Turning half way through to ensure even cooking
- Thinly slice pepper and onion and chop garlic
- Roughly chop parsley and chives
- Heat 22 cm non-stick frying pan with 2 tablespoon olive oil add onion. Cook for 5 minutes then add sliced pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Add cooked sliced potato and chopped garlic and cook for further 3 minutes. Remove from the heat
- Break eggs into bowl and beat well. Season with pepper and salt. Stir in chopped herbs and then add cooked potatoes and vegetables
- Heat frying pan and add 1 tablespoon of oil, use silicone brush to ensure oil is spread over base and sides of the pan
- Pour egg mixture with vegetables into pan and spread evenly in pan. Sprinkle grated Parmesan on top of the mixture. Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes
- Heat grill and place pan with egg and vegetable under this and cook until golden brown- minimum 5 minutes
- Carefully lift Frittata with a spatula onto plate (or invert onto plate if feeling brave!) and serve with a side salad.