Here is a healthy recipe to help with your new year’s resolution if you are trying to lose weight. Lower in fat and sugar than shop bought muffins with extra fibre and goodness too. So simple to make and great for freezing. Food Fiend Experience runs cookery courses and food events on North Hayling, if you’re looking for something different give me a call: www.foodfiendexp.com
100 g whole wheat flour
100 g plain flour
75 g rolled oats
25 g mixture of wheat germ and linseed or replace with plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 large eggs
100 g brown sugar
1 tsp ground spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
75 ml vegetable oil
75 ml milk
1 medium carrot grated
75 g walnuts roughly chopped
Sprinkle of pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Place whole wheat and plain flour in a mixing bowl along with linseed and wheat germ (if using) along with baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and spices. Mix well.
- In a large jug place vegetable oil, milk and eggs mix well. Stir this mixture into dry ingredients.
- Grate carrot and chop walnuts and add to this batter. Stir until moist add a bit more milk if required.
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Place muffin cases into muffin pan and fill each case ¾ full. The batter made should produce 12 muffins. Sprinkle pumpkin and sunflower seeds on the top of each muffin.
- Bake in the oven for 15- 20 minutes until well risen and cooked through.