This monthâ€™s dessert recipe has the â€˜wow â€˜factor, it will certainly impress your guests! Not only is it good looking it is tasty too. The soft apple is a delicious contrast to the crispy pastry. Make sure you always have the ingredients to hand- puff pastry in the freezer and mincemeat in the cupboard along with a bag of fresh red apples!
Food Fiend Experience offers a range of cookery courses and has now added food experience events too! So why not come for a Tasty Food and Pamper evening or a Tasty Food and Tai Chi evening? Gift vouchers are available for a birthday or Christmas present. For more information call Kathy on 023 9311 0030 or go to the website; www.foodfiendexp.com
- I jar mince meat
- 1 pack ready rolled puff pastry
- 2 large red apples
- Bottle lemon juice
- Wash apples and cut in half and remove core. Cut apple into 2 mm slices. Place on a large plate and cover each slice with lemon juice. Spread slices over plate and microwave on high for one minute and then check to see if it has softened increase by 30 seconds and repeat until all apple slices cooked through but still firm.
- Roll out pastry and cut into 6 equal pieces by folding whole rectangle pastry into half and then into thirds cut with kitchen scissors.
- Lightly flour table top and roll each piece of pastry until 2 mm thick and make sure there are no holes.
- Overlap apple slices on the edge of the pastry strip about 1.5 cm from the top. Place small line of mincemeat under apple slices. Take care not to put too much mincemeat. Fold pastry over the mincemeat and bottom of the apple slice. Seal end with water and press firmly.
- Roll up pastry with apple and mincemeat to create rose and dampen end with water and press to seal.
- Place pastry rose in bun tin. Cover with foil leaving a tear on one edge to relieve moisture.
- Bake in fan oven 180 for 15 minutes and then check and then a further 10 minutes or until pastry is cooked through. Remove from bun tin while still hot and place on wire rack. Dust with icing sugar.
- Enjoy winter rose with vanilla ice-cream.