My name is Natalie March from Physio-logical, a chartered physiotherapist in PO9. I hope you are enjoying the longer days now.
Recently I have seen a lot of people who suffer with golfers elbow (pain on inside of the elbow) in my clinic; golfers, weight lifters, office workers, builders, gardeners, people taking up new activities plus many more suffer from this problem. Most people with this problem have some pain when lifting pans, opening jars, shaking hands, carrying shopping or turning the steering wheel of a car.
Golfers elbow, also known as medial epicondylitis is an overuse injury which occurs where the tendon which flexes the wrist attaches to the inside of the elbow. I am going to give you exercises which will help with golfers elbow. Physiotherapy treatment including frictions, massage, mobilisations combined with exercises are the best treatment for golfers elbow. Acupuncture is another effective treatment for golfers elbow too, we offer this at our Havant clinic.
Please be aware of your body and take advice from your GP before exercising if you have any aches or pains or send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for advice and guidance.
- Extend your arm with your palm facing up then bend and straighten at your elbow.
- Repeat 10 times, 3 times a day.
Wrist Flexor Strengthening
- Support your forearm on a table with palm facing upwards
- Hold a weight in the hand of your injured side.
- Use your other hand to bend your wrist up.
- Then let go of your wrist and use just your injured side to lower the weight slowly back to the starting position. â€¢Repeat 3 sets of 15, 2 times a day.
Wrist Flexor Stretch
- Begin this exercise with your elbow straight and palm up.
- Take your wrist backwards so your fingers point down towards the floor using your other hand until you feel a mild to moderate stretch pain-free in your forearm.
- Hold for 30 seconds x 2, 3 times a day.