Rowans Living Well Centre opened its doors to the first patients and carers in October as building contractor, Bill Richardson of Richardsons (Nyewood) Ltd formally handed over the keys to the building to Honorary Chairman of Trustees, Elizabeth Emms.
The Ground Breaking Ceremony for the new building, next door to Rowans Hospice on Purbrook Heath Road, took place almost a year ago on 16 November 2015. Speaking on Monday, Ruth White, Chief Executive of Rowans Hospice, was quite emotional at the opening of the Living Well Centre: “This has been four years of hard work by a team of people to achieve the dream of having a centre which can be readily accessed by local people who are affected by life-limiting illnesses, loss and bereavement; a truly beautiful building, which will provide a haven to those needing advice, support and help.”
Rowans Living Well Centre is open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm, and anyone needing support can just drop in, no medical referral is needed to access the services.
Rowans Living Well Centre offers a relaxed and safe environment where people can spend time, make new friendships and participate in a variety of activities. The Centre will offer the following services:
- Support to maintain independence and wellbeing
- Support to manage stress for individuals and families
- A community café, where a cup of tea/coffee and a chat with others in similar situations
- Information and advice about other services and resources that are provided by other organisations, both locally and nationally
- Art and craft groups and a horticultural programme
- Carers support group
- Complementary therapies, including gentle massage, hypnotherapy, reflexology, osteopathy and acupuncture
- An opportunity to learn relaxation techniques and meditation
- Formalised exercise groups
- Macmillan Hampshire Citizen Advice Services
- Participation in a group to help manage symptoms such as fatigue and breathlessness
- Talks to facilitate planning for future care needs
- Talks on maintaining health including dietary advice
- Reminiscence groups
- Listening support
- Bereavement support groups.
Call 023 9224 8011 or visit rowanshospice.co.uk/livingwell for more information.