We are looking for volunteers to support our Time Together Group in Hayling Island. A monthly support group for people affected by Dementia and their friends, family and carers.
Hayling Island Community Centre, Station Road. PO11 0HB. The Group takes place on the 2nd Wednesday of each month 1.30pm-3.30pm.
The role of the volunteer can include:
- Helping set out the room in an agreed layout, putting out signage and recording attendees;
- preparing and distributing simple refreshments, collecting in and washing items used;
- welcoming and talking with people with dementia and carers of people with dementia;
- liaising with the group leader to support planned group activities;
- supporting the group leader by encouraging participation, Supporting the collection of feedback from the groups, tidying up the room after the session.
This role will suit you if you...
- Enjoy meeting new people, have good verbal communication skills especially face to face;
- know about, or are willing to learn about, dementia and its impact on people. Recognise the importance of confidentiality and can show this in practice;
- references and a Criminal Record (DBS) check are required;
- are prepared to complete induction into the role, necessary training and attend future support meetings, no specific qualifications or experience are needed.
The impact you'll make
Groups such as this provide an opportunity for people with dementia, family members and carers to meet regularly and talk about living with dementia, in an informal social environment and ask questions of professionals. You will provide support to the group leader to enable people affected by dementia to engage with and socialise with other group members or participants in a welcoming and non-judgemental environment.
If you are interested in this role, have any questions or need more information, please contact Alison Wood, Business Manager; firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01264 835246.